TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme
Deadline: April 1, 2019
The TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme provides postdoctoral researchers from sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa, with the opportunity to make a three-month ‘Cooperation Visit’ to a research institute in Germany. Such visits must be undertaken within 12 months of the award.
The aim of the visit is to initiate research collaboration between African and German scientists with the ultimate goal of developing longer-term links, perhaps through other Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, or German Research Foundation) programmes. DFG will cover health insurance, travel expenses and provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany. The administration and financial operation of TWAS is undertaken by UNESCO in accordance with an agreement signed by the two organizations.
- Applicants must hold a PhD and must have obtained it not earlier than 2014;
- Applicants must be nationals of a sub-Saharan African country, including South
- Africa, and hold a research position in sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants already on site in Germany or with an established collaboration with the intended host are not eligible.
- Previous recipients of a TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visit cannot reapply. For a second visit, the German host can apply for funding under the DFG Initiation of International Collaboration Programme.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
- All academic fields will be considered.